Checking my (sports) shorts wondering whatever happened to Spud Webb...
- I'm thinking either one of two things will happen to the Boston Celtics after this season. They get rid of the immature Rajon Rando or dismantle the Big 3. After Rando's latest look at me moment, I can't see guys like Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce being on board with that kind of nonsense. Avery Bradley has shown he is capable of running the point and possibly helping these aging veterans win one more ring. If Rando stays, Allen will be sure to leave via free agency and I would not be surprised if KG or Pierce ask out.
- During the NLL preseason, I picked the Calgary Roughnecks to defeat the Rochester Knighthawks for the Champions Cup. The playoffs start tonight and while I still (kinda) like my picks, I think the more realistic approach is to look at a Colorado Mammoth v. Toronto Rock final. The East is as weak as it has been in years, but the potential West final between Calgary and Colorado may remind us of the NFC Championship games between the Cowboys and 49ers when it seemed like those were always the actual Super Bowl.
- While it is ridiculous to grade a draft when guys have never suited up for a team, I think Buffalo Bills GM Buddy Nix and head coach Chan Gailey have made the right moves. Stocking up on CBs and LBs in the draft after a significant upgrade on the defensive line through free agency makes Buffalo look like a legit playoff contender for the first time in a decade. If RB Fred Jackson comes back 100% from his season ending injury, Buffalo will be a team to watch in 2012.
- I'm not sure if it is becoming a little league coach or returning to pro baseball (see below), but I have a new found rejuvenation for baseball. Already, I have watched more baseball on TV this season than I have in the last three seasons combined. Maybe it is the kid coming back out of me again or that being around the game again as once again made me a fan.
- Job news #1: I am excited to be returning to Major League Lacrosse this season. I worked the Long Island Lizards v. Chesapeake Bayhawks game at Hofstra for the MLL on ESPN3 last week and have the Rochester Rattlers games vs. the Ohio Machine and Denver Outlaws later this summer. I missed the league after working the TV broadcasts for the original Rattlers for three years before they left town after winning the championship in 2008. Even though I am still waiting for my championship (not really), my first game back was like I never left!
- Job news #2: I will return to pro baseball on May 31 as the Buffalo Bisons take on the Columbus Clippers at 10:35 a.m. I will be filling in for my good friend Ben Wagner on the Bisons Radio Network as he and Duke McGuire move up to handle the TV call on MLB TV. I was the on-field host for the Bisons in 2008 when they were part of the Cleveland Indians organization.